Welcome to the M.V.A.S. forum. If you are an M.V.A.S. member, to gain access to members only boards, such as Club Announcements, Match Results and individual Water boards, ensure you have filled out your M.V.A.S. Membership number when registering an account, and set an avatar in your Profile after you've registered. For a Help Guide, click here.

Register a new account

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Great danes
(09-06-2019, 10:35 AM)Martin1453 Wrote: Hello all,

I fished Great Danes yesterday for the first time in about 11 years, with some beautiful June weather (!). Really nice to be back. Had a few carp to 8lb. Lost an absolute sea creature, which may well have been Paul's fish above!
Two families of Canada geese have made it home. There's also a cormorant in residence, assume the club are aware/fact of life.

The Canada geese seem to have made it home over the last few years I'm afraid. The cormorant comes and goes. Thanks for the heads up.
Phil. ( Bailiff ) PS Didn't affect your fishing I see...................
Fished at Great Danes on Tuesday afternoon for 4 hours this week 8th October, and had a 3lb common and a 4lb common both on sweetcorn, great fitting fish, really enjoyed the afternoon.
(11-10-2019, 10:01 AM)Malcolm Wrote: Fished at Great Danes on Tuesday afternoon for 4 hours this week 8th October, and had a 3lb common and a 4lb common both on sweetcorn, great fitting fish, really enjoyed the afternoon.

Glad you enjoyed it Malcolm...................
Had a couple of hours at the Danes yesterday afternoon, nice to see the depth of water returning to normal levels. Had two commons  around the 8lb. mark, then a couple of smaller mirrors and larger mirror of about 6lb. there were also a couple of lads from Manchester (guests from the hotel) fishing, I take it that there is an arrangement with the hotel.
(16-10-2019, 07:51 AM)Paul Watts Wrote: Had a couple of hours at the Danes yesterday afternoon, nice to see the depth of water returning to normal levels. Had two commons  around the 8lb. mark, then a couple of smaller mirrors and larger mirror of about 6lb. there were also a couple of lads from Manchester (guests from the hotel) fishing, I take it that there is an arrangement with the hotel.

Yes Paul, hotel guests are allowed to fish. They have to be actually staying at the hotel and pick up a guest card from the leisure centre.
These guys have been checked by our bailiffs and have shown their room keys as confirmation.
(16-10-2019, 07:51 AM)Paul Watts Wrote: Had a couple of hours at the Danes yesterday afternoon, nice to see the depth of water returning to normal levels. Had two commons  around the 8lb. mark, then a couple of smaller mirrors and larger mirror of about 6lb. there were also a couple of lads from Manchester (guests from the hotel) fishing, I take it that there is an arrangement with the hotel.
 We need quite a bit of rain to keep the water levels up at the Danes, it quickly runs away.  I've checked quite a few guests over the years Paul. Glad to see some fish coming out as well..... Wink
I had a very enjoyable short session here this morning catching half a dozen carp (2 mirrors amongst them) between 1 and 6lb on a margin feeder, using light lines (6lb &5lb h/l) plus some small silvers. I packed up around 11:40am ish. One catch (the heaviest) had that parrot mouth you refer to in the water description. I used what I thought was the right terminal tackle set up given the description of max expected size, and the old adage about b/s equals about half the target weight (or a third if you are really good at playing fish). Is there a recommended set up for this water?